Back to the Foodies journal

News

Reopening of the dining rooms? Legault says no!

Reopening of the dining rooms? Legault says no!

Thursday morning, about forty people united their voices in an open letter addressed to Prime Minister François Legault. Among these, we find the managers of various restaurant associations, restaurant managers and even suppliers. The message is clear: “Mr. Legault, please reopen our dining rooms! "
From the outset, they recall that no major COVID-19 outbreak has been linked to restaurants to date and that the entire restaurant industry wants to be part of the solution.
They also point out that they have noticed the need for minimal social contact on the part of the population in order to avoid any future mental health problems. According to them, restaurants can help at this level in safe environments.
Let’s not forget all the sacrifices and efforts made by restaurateurs since March to adapt their dining rooms to sanitary standards. Financial efforts, in particular, for them and also for the employees who saw their wages decrease.
Since the beginning of October, several regions of Quebec have been "red" and have seen dining rooms close again. At the time of the announcements, the date of October 28 had been set as the temporary deadline for this closure, at the end of the 28-day Challenge launched by the Minister of Health, Christian Dubé. As this fateful date quickly approaches, restaurateurs admit they are still uncertain about the reopening.
They conclude this letter this way:
“As a father, leader, businessman and Prime Minister, we believe you share these concerns. This is why we are asking you to quickly reassess the current situation of the restaurant industry and allow the reopening of dining rooms throughout Quebec. We are ready to work with you, as always, to ensure a safe reopening and adherence to sanitary guidelines. "
Legault Response
Mr. Legault's response to this open letter was quick: because the current figures are not encouraging, he strongly doubts the restaurants will reopen in the short term. He believes reducing contact is still paramount to stopping the current second wave.
"If we decided tomorrow morning to reopen the restaurants, we would increase the risk that the spread will increase, and today, the opposite must be done," said Mr. Legault Thursday afternoon.
Regarding the end of the 28-Day Challenge, Legault and his team will announce the next steps in the coming days, hoping to give themselves extra time to watch the evolution of the pandemic.
With these comments from the government and decision-makers, do you believe in an imminent reopening of the dining rooms?

Read next

L'Entre Gens of St-Bruno finally reopened!

L'Entre Gens of St-Bruno finally reopened!

Since September 17, 2025, Restaurant L'Entre Gens in St-Bruno has reopened its doors. Let’s recall that the restaurant, then managed by [...]

Read the story
The Abbatiello Group acquires L’Oeufrier breakfast chain

The Abbatiello Group acquires L’Oeufrier breakfast chain

Already well known in the restaurant world with Pizza Salvatoré and their more recent acquisitions such as Jack le Coq, Topla! and Crèmerie [...]

Read the story
Ashton acquires Le Roy Jucep in Drummondville

Ashton acquires Le Roy Jucep in Drummondville

At Groupe Ashton, co-owners Emily Adam and Jean-Christophe Lirette have been at the helm for only two years, and during that time, they have [...]

Read the story
Fast delivery: Ashton, Batifol and finally a restaurant in the village!

Fast delivery: Ashton, Batifol and finally a restaurant in the village!

It’s a well-known fact that every city has its most famous restaurant. In Quebec, it's the Ashton and we have news on the owners' projects. [...]

Read the story

Editorials to read

Sex ... at the table!

Sex ... at the table!

Sex and restoration do they mix? Some restaurateurs believe so. We find them distasteful or amusing, several restaurants [...]

Read the story
Thematic restaurants in Quebec: the origins behind the concept

Thematic restaurants in Quebec: the origins behind the concept

Remember the presence of Planet Hollywood in Montreal? This theme restaurant, which opened its doors in July 1998 on St. [...]

Read the story
Which restaurant to choose after visiting the Cosmodome?

Which restaurant to choose after visiting the Cosmodome?

Looking for an activity to do with the family while you are in Laval? Why not visit the Cosmodome? Here, visitors are [...]

Read the story